A comprehensive overview of the cards, payments and consumer banking market in Saudi Arabia.
This Verisk Financial Research Country Report delivers commentary on Saudi Arabia's retail banking and payments landscape supported by historic and forecast data. The report gives detailed insight into the market's key players, including cards networks, issuers, acquirers, banks, and PSPs, plus Saudi Arabia's payments infrastructure, digital and mobile payments developments, demographic and consumer trends, regulatory drivers, credit card profitability, and more.
SAUDI ARABIA CARDS & PAYMENTS REPORT | KEY FACTS
- Saudi Arabia's authorities have made cash reduction a key policy objective. The country is also looking to reduce dependence on oil and foreign workers; a range of new taxes, including VAT, have been introduced.
- Banking has gradually migrated from primarily conventional to primarily Islamic over the last decade: some 90 per cent of the country's credit cards in issue are now sharia-compliant.
- Retail banking is offered by a dozen local commercial banks, though this may fall to ten through mergers, one of which (SABB and Alawwal Bank) has been agreed, subject to approval.
- Mada, the local switch and debit network, has been central to innovation, introducing contactless payments, launching a mobile wallet and enabling debit cards for online payments. The Saudi Arabian payments infrastructure was significantly improved with Mada's overhaul in 2015.
- Contactless payments have grown rapidly in the kingdom, accounting for one in five card payments in 2018. This is a higher proportion than in many European countries, where contactless has been available for much longer.
- Cash-on-delivery is the dominant e-commerce payment method. Until 2018, debit cards could not be used online and, with Saudi Arabia's credit card base being small, COD was often the only option for online buyers.
- Debit cards dominate the payment cards market, accounting for 79 per cent of total purchase volume in 2018. Credit cards are largely aimed at the affluent market, and a high proportion of spending takes place outside the country.
- Banks have traditionally subsidised their acquiring operations through their issuing and corporate banking businesses with MSCs often priced below interchange levels.
Saudi Arabia Payments Research | Report Contents
Demographics and the economy
Key retail banks and issuers
Acquiring and processing
Regulatory and other cards market information
Appendix I: Demographics and economy
- Demographic and economic indicators
- Ownership of key consumer devices
- Internet usage by population
Appendix II: Payments environment
- Access points
- Account penetration
- Consumer payment trends
Appendix III: Cards market
- Total cards payment metrics
- Contactless cards metrics
- Credit card numbers
- Total credit cards metrics
- Credit cards profitability indicators
- Debit cards numbers
- Debit cards metrics
- Prepaid/e-money cards metrics
Appendix IV: Mobile payments
- Mobile proximity payment metrics
Appendix V: Profit pool
Appendix VI: The networks
- Networks' credit card market shares
- Networks' credit card numbers
- Networks' credit card billed volume
- Networks' number of credit card transactions
- Networks' average credit card transaction value
- Credit card interchange fees by network
- Networks' debit card market shares
- Networks' debit card numbers
- Networks' debit card billed volume
- Networks' number of debit card transactions
- Networks' average debit card transaction value
- Debit card interchange fees by network
Appendix VII: Retail banks and issuers
- Key credit card issuers market shares by credit card numbers
- Key issuers market shares in credit card outstandings
- Key debit card issuers market shares by debit card numbers
Appendix VIII: Acquiring and processing
- Merchant acquirer credit card market share
- Credit card merchant service charges
- Merchant acquirer debit card market share
- Debit card merchant service charges
- Credit card issuer/issuing processor relationships
- Credit card acquirer/acquiring processor relationships
- Credit card issuing processor market shares by card numbers
- Credit card acquiring processor market shares by the number of POS transactions
Appendix IX: Online acquiring
- Online merchant acquirer market share